MacuShield, 90 capsules, is an eye supplement containing meso-zeaxanthin, zeaxanthin and lutein food supplement, derived from marigolds. MacuShield original has been tested at leading research institutes and endorsed by eye care professionals. Scientists have long known that the yellow colour, or pigment, at the macula comes from the carotenoids, lutein, zeaxanthin, and meso-zeaxanthin.
These plant compounds found in Macushield capsules are antioxidants that neutralise free radicals originating from smoking, pollution, fried foods and most importantly blue light and oxidative stress.
Benefits of MacuShield Original 90 capsules:
- Supports and maintains eye health
- Has been clinically tested and is recommended by opticians and opthamologists
Directions: As a food supplement, adults take one Macushield Original capsule daily with a meal. Do not exceed the daily dose.
Pregnant or lactating women should consult a doctor before using this supplement. Food supplements should not be used as a substitute for a varied diet or a healthy lifestyle.
Each softgel contains: Marigold Extract 157mg - providing - Meso Xeaxanthin 10mg, Lutein 10mg, Zeaxanthin 2mg. Ingredients: Bulking Agent: Sunflower Seed Oil, Capsule Shell (gelling agent: Bovine Gelatin, Humectant: Glycerol, Colour: red iron oxide E172) Marigold Extract (of which 15% is combined Lutein, Meso-Zeaxanthin, Di-Alpha-Tocopherol), thickener, beeswax yellow.
What is MacuShield®?
MacuShield® began as a single product, MacuShield® Original, a dietary supplement derived from the marigold flower (Tagetes Erecta) that combines the three macular carotenoids: Meso-zeaxanthin, Lutein and Zeaxanthin. We get these three nutrients exclusively from our diet, the Lutein and Zeaxanthin coming from dark green leafy vegetables and brightly colored fruits, and the Meso-zeaxanthin coming from some types of fish and seafood. Since its launch, the range of products has increased, but they all still revolve around this core formula.
- Carotenoids – Carotenoids are naturally occurring plant pigments found in nature. Over 700 carotenoids have been identified to date, which include the carotenoids lutein, zeaxanthin and meso-zeaxanthin.
- Lutein – A natural carotenoid entirely of dietary origin, which accumulates at the macula at the back of the eye. Lutein is most commonly found in dark green, leafy vegetables such as spinach, kale or peas.
- Macula – It is the central and most sensitive part of the retina. The carotenoids luten, zeaxanthin and meso-zeaxanthin can be found at the macula.
- Macular Pigment – The dietary carotenoids lutein, zeaxanthin and meso-zeaxanthin accumulate at the macula where they are collectively known as macular pigment.
- Meso-zeaxanthin – Meso-zeaxanthin is the most central carotenoid found at the epicentre of the macula. Meso-zeaxanthin is naturally occurring in the human food chain, found in several species of fish to date.
- Oxidative Stress – Oxidative stress refers to damage by reactive, unstable molecules. These molecules, which include free radicals, are produced naturally in the body through oxygen metabolism.
- Retina – The retina is the light-sensitive layer of tissue at the back of the inner eye. It acts like the film in a camera; images come through the eyes’ lens and are focused on the retina. The retina then converts these images to electric signals and sends them via the optic nerve to the brain.
- Zeaxanthin – A natural carotenoid entirely of dietary origin, which accumulates at the macula at the back of the eye. Zeaxanthin is commonly found in brightly coloured fruit and vegetables such as peppers and sweetcorn.
Can MacuShield® Original and MacuShield® Gold be taken by diabetics?
Yes, MacuShield® Original and MacuShield® Gold do not contain any sucrose (sugar) and may be taken by diabetics.
How are the ingredients in MacuShield® products sourced?
The three carotenoids in all MacuShield® products are a derivative of the marigold flower Tagetes erecta, sourced and grown specifically for the production of lutein, zeaxanthin and meso-zeaxanthin.
Are there dietary sources of macular carotenoids?
The macular pigment develops solely from our diet. An average western diet contains approximately 1.3-3mg of these carotenoids each day. Good natural food sources of lutein and zeaxanthin are dark green leafy vegetables and other brightly coloured fruits and vegetables. MacuShield® products are nutritional supplements and should not replace a balanced diet.
What are the differences between MacuShield® Gold and MacuShield® Original?
MacuShield® Original and MacuShield® Gold both contain the three macular carotenoids. However, the MacuShield® Gold capsules also contain a blend of high dose Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Zinc and Copper. We also offer a MacuShield® Original Chewable which provides a MacuShield® Original Formula with added vitamin B2.
What is Meso-zeaxanthin?
Meso-zeaxanthin is one of the three macular carotenoids. It is particularly concentrated at the centre of the macular pigment.
Food supplements should not be used as a substitute for a varied diet. Store in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. Keep out of reach of young children. Do not exceed the daily dose. If pregnant, or breastfeeding, or if you are taking medication, or on medical care, consult your physician prior to use. While we work to ensure that product information on our website is correct, on occasion manufacturers may alter their ingredient lists. Actual product packaging and materials may contain more and/or different information than that shown on our website. All information about the products on our website is provided for information purposes only. We recommend that you do not solely rely on the information presented on our website. Please always read the labels, warnings, and directions provided with the product before using or consuming a product. In the event of any safety concerns or for any other information about a product please carefully read any instructions provided on the label or packaging and contact the manufacturer. Content on this site is not intended to substitute for advice given by medical practitioner, pharmacist, or other licensed health-care professional. Contact your health-care provider immediately if you suspect that you have a medical problem. Information and statements about products are not intended to be used to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or health condition. The customer reviews are only moderated for offensive content – they should not be regarded as medical or health advice; no reliance should therefore be placed on them; and they are not endorsed by Victoria Health. If you have any health problems or questions regarding the suitability of any product please contact a health professional. Products are not medicinal unless otherwise stated. Victoria Health accepts no liability for inaccuracies or misstatements about products by manufacturers or other third parties. This does not affect your statutory rights.