Lamberts FOS, Fructo-Oligosaccharides, is one of the best natural remedies to can lead to better bowel tone, more regular movements and a reduction in digestive 'upsets'. A natural soluble fibre that helps maintain bowel health.
This product consists of a special soluble fibre called Fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS), which is found in many vegetables such as chicory and onions. When you take FOS it passes through your digestive system undigested until it reaches your bowel where the live bacteria use it as a food source. The result is a rapid growth in the 'live' bacteria, such as Bifidobacteria and Lactobacillus species.
After just 2 weeks of taking 8g of FOS daily, research has shown that it can significantly increase the number of beneficial bacteria in the gut by up to 10 times.
- 100% natural
- Can lead to better bowel tone, more regular movements and a reduction in digestive 'upsets'
- A sweet soluble powder that can either be mixed into hot or cold drinks, sprinkled onto cereals and desserts or eaten off the spoon
- Safe for long-term use, although research has shown positive results after just 2 week
- FOS is extracted from chicory roots and is suitable for all ages, including children and pregnant women, as well as those on yeast-free diets and those on medication, and can be used on a long-term basis. It is a sweet soluble powder that can be mixed into cold or hot drinks, sprinkled on cereals or eaten off the spoon.
- The following list of allergens are excluded: Wheat, Barley, Soya, Eggs, Milk (and milk products), Lactose, Nuts, Sulphites and Gluten containing ingredients.
- Suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
(1 heaped teaspoon = 5g)
This product may be used in one of two ways:
- At low doses FOS acts as a prebiotic (bowel 'conditioner')
- At larger doses FOS conditions the bowel and also helps maintain regularity.
Dissolve in hot drinks or sprinkle onto cereal. Alternatively, simply take it 'off the spoon'. Be sure to drink at least 2 litres of fluids a day.
For specific requirements:
- 5g -Initial Dose
- 10g - Maintenance Dose
Children 4 years & up:
- 2.5g - Initial Dose
- 5g - Maintenance Dose
- 5g - Initial Dose
- Try 15g - Normal Full Dose
- Try 20g - Maintenance Daily Dose
Children 4 years & up:
- 2.5g - Initial Dose
- Try 5g - Normal Full Dose
- 10g - Maintenance Daily Dose
If any of these intake levels cause excessive flatulence then reduce the dose and gradually build up. The flatulence is a positive sign that FOS has reached the bowel and is feeding your 'friendly' bacteria. As the bacteria consume FOS a gas is produced which can lead to some flatulence at first however after a few days this will disappear as further 'friendly' bacteria develop and absorb the gases. For intakes over 10g (or 5g in children); dividing the intake into 2 daily doses 1 at each end of the day will help reduce flatulence.
FOS may cause temporary bloating. This is a short-term effect and once your system 'speeds up' the bloating will disappear. If bloating continues for more than 3 days then reduce the daily intake of FOS.
Be sure to drink at least 2 litres of fluids a day
Each teaspoon provides,646KJ/152kcal Energy,0g Protein,95g Carbohydrate (Fructo-oligosaccharides F.O.S) 0g Fat
Food supplements should not be used as a substitute for a varied diet. Store in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. Keep out of reach of young children. Do not exceed the daily dose. If pregnant, or breastfeeding, or if you are taking medication, or on medical care, consult your physician prior to use. While we work to ensure that product information on our website is correct, on occasion manufacturers may alter their ingredient lists. Actual product packaging and materials may contain more and/or different information than that shown on our website. All information about the products on our website is provided for information purposes only. We recommend that you do not solely rely on the information presented on our website. Please always read the labels, warnings, and directions provided with the product before using or consuming a product. In the event of any safety concerns or for any other information about a product please carefully read any instructions provided on the label or packaging and contact the manufacturer. Content on this site is not intended to substitute for advice given by medical practitioner, pharmacist, or other licensed health-care professional. Contact your health-care provider immediately if you suspect that you have a medical problem. Information and statements about products are not intended to be used to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or health condition. The customer reviews are only moderated for offensive content – they should not be regarded as medical or health advice; no reliance should therefore be placed on them; and they are not endorsed by Victoria Health. If you have any health problems or questions regarding the suitability of any product please contact a health professional. Products are not medicinal unless otherwise stated. Victoria Health accepts no liability for inaccuracies or misstatements about products by manufacturers or other third parties. This does not affect your statutory rights.